During the Christmas season at work I witnessed many taboo acts by parents and children alike… Just like I do every year. I thought I could share them with everyone just to make sure you don’t make the same mistakes.
1. Do not EVER use the phrase “They never act like this at home?!?!” Also included in this category is “they always smile at home”… First off yes they do act like that home…. and at the grocery store, and the mall, and the restaurant… We are not dumb, we know your lying. And of course they smile at home dipshit… They are at home all the time!!!! We have them for 10 minutes (yes only 10 minutes I’m getting there be patient) Keep your expectations realistic. Most likely your photographer is somewhat competent. We can manage to entertain your toddler for a short time. Give us a chance.
2. Appointments… Unless its a slow time your appointment is probably only 10 minutes long. Thats camera room time. That is enough time for us to get good quality pictures of your family/child/spawn. It does not allow for you to suggest we use every ridiculous prop in the studio and taking 20 minutes to change your toddlers shirt. Also if your late, do not expect to get back to your appointment right away. You have an appointment for a reason and its just like any other appointment… If you miss it you get bumped… deal with it. Also don’t walk in.. Have the courtesy to call and make an appointment. We like to plan for you just like you like to plan if someone is coming to your home. Don’t be upset if you walk in and are denied a time. After all we couldn’t plan for you….
3. If your child has been sick, had shots, and ear infection, cold, flu, or just crabby, reschedule your appointment. And when they don’t want to cooperate don’t say something stupid like “Oh Mikey didn’t have a nap today”. What do you expect. I’m pissy when I don’t get my nap either…
4. Please base your portrait purchase on the quality of your portraits and how much you like them. You may be brought in my a coupon, promotion or special, but keep an open mind. You spend $80 on your hair, $20 on your nails, $150 on that coach purse, $75 on that Gymboree outfit and $60 for the baby Nike Shocks. Don’t get stingy when it comes to your pictures. We are giving you a product that will last your whole life. We are giving you memories of your children. And we work damn hard to do it. Also do not say …. oh were getting their pictures done again in a month, 6 months etc… Its not the same and its insulting when you say that. Dont!
5. If you like a photographer or a certain studio go back to them. If you request a certain photographer, spend at least $100…That is about how much they need to make each sale to keep their job… Remember that. On the same note, If you don’t like a certain photographer or studio, don’t go back. But there is no need to be an asshole and insult people.
6. Just because you own a digital camera and photoshop DOES NOT make you a professional photographer. Do not act like one and Do NOT tell me how to do my job.
7. Do NOT bring your camera to a studio. You do not bring your own food to a restaurant, or your own hair dye to the salon. Have some courtesy.
8. Bring stuff from home. We Love that. We get tired of using the same boring props every day. Especially if its something cool like a homemade blanket or toy. Or anything to do with your career… Fireman, police and army stuff always rocks too.
9. Please do not bring every family member within a 50 mile radius to make your kid smile. Thats our job… But thanks anyway. Besides alls that really is going to do is overwhelm your child and make them nervous. Also your newborn baby is not going to smile and please just let them sleep. The pictures really turn out so much better when you do… I promise.
These really are just general guidelines for public outings in general. Please remember that babies have bad days too. And they are kids. Don’t expect them to act like adults. But your the parent…. Now Act Like It!!!! Have fun and happy picture taking!!!
One last thing… We really do care and we really do want you to get good pictures. We want you to have an amazing experience and come back again and again. It makes us feel good!!!